20060417

Fight Club

Pavlo Cohelo once wrote in Alchemist that if you so want something to happen, then the world eventually conspires to get it done for you.

I am a great believer of those words. Indeed, I really desire for very few things, but those which I wanted with my heart n soul, I always got it. Not by means of hard toil, but by means of sitting pretty and doing nothing. The same is true for my mother too, but to a lesser extent. Make the two of us angry, really angry and give us jut cause to be angry, and bad stuff happen to you. I'm not psyching you out, but taking stock of stuff which has happened to people and things had brought in this conclusion. The only constraints are that :

1. I have to be really angry at you / want something very badly
2. It has to be entirely your fault / I should have tried as much as I can and failed
3. I now do no act of vengeance myself / I still keep it in my mind and cut back on my quest to earn it; essentially, I'm just 'being there.'

Anyways, back to the battlefield called Mallu extended family, which consists of family, relatives, friends of relatives and well wishers; thus encompassing the entire resident mallu populace. Too lazy to write a long piece; so here come some snippets:

Snippet #1:
One the phone, with a cousin. Actually, her kids are closer to age to me than her. She asks me about my life, and then suddenly " How is your health?"

" I am fine. And I was never sick or ill, so why do you ask??" I enquired with thinly veiled annoyance.

" Oh, well, you will need to wear a sari soon.. " She droned on, blissfully impervious to my attempted rudeness.

Snippet #2:
An old friend's wedding. I go there, and come across a collegemate. Rather than old friendship, it is the new feeling of ' where are all the people whom we know ' that binds us. We start talking. She has put on weight, but I smoothly lie and tell that she looks good. She, on the other hand, might have been totally discomfited by my colored hair, short kurthi and tight jeans, but lies equally flawlessly.

" Where will you work? "

I mentioned the company.

"And what is the salary?"

I mentioned it too.

" Well, I am asking all this so that I can tell when people ask what my MBA friend is earning. " She explained.

Now, why do people act like Income Tax officers and question your salary?

Snippet #3:
Me and my mother visit the opticians. I need new glasses. The power has increased, and I am on my way to greater myopic glory. I mention the Lasik procedure to my mom. She denies it flat out, somewhat the sameway I deny the many men my mom deems fit for me to marry.

"But why?"

She, taking a page from my book, decided to project silent hostility.

" You apparently have enough to get me married, but not to have a simple surgery done? " I asked.

World War III is going on fine at the Witch household.

5 Comments:

Blogger Nikhil Narayanan :

I did ask the salary part once...
:-P

Regards
Nikhil

4:58 AM  
Blogger clash :

Dont u think,there is a spelling mistake at the very beginning of yer post?

6:15 AM  
Blogger iamyuva :

on the lighter-side, abt getting things : well, women have an unfair advantage over men; if they can't get what they want by being smart, they can get it by being dumb.

my recommendation..pick battles only big enough to matter, small enough to win..._)

also should say, admire your writting skills..

3:26 AM  
Anonymous kiron :

You get irked when people ask you about the salary? nerathe parayende.. I can take the pain to call you up everyday and ask what your current salary is :P

Btw, nice post. TVM blues :)

4:21 AM  
Blogger joyofnothing :

Thou shalt not ask : women the age and Men the salary ..
I guess I shuld change my age old belief......:-)....
Amazing write skills......

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google PageRank Checker Tool